This position provides, assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates care provided to patients with urgent, emergent or potential health problems. LPNs perform a wide variety of patient care activities for the clinic’s patients of all ages, including general nursing care, administration of prescribed medications and treatments, education of patients and families, and response to patient telephone calls. All care is provided under the supervision of the physician and/or mid-level provider.
- Diploma in Practical Nursing
- Current/active PN license in the State of Illinois.
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Preferred
- Knowledgeable of basic laboratory test results and their implications for patient care.
- A minimum of one year of experience in a clinical setting preferred.
- IV experience preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate Core Values of Respect, Care, Competence and Joy
Clinical Competency Requirements
- Emphasizes a holistic approach to patient care-attending to body, mind, and spirit
- Involves patient and family in decisions about care
- Maintains excellent interpersonal communication with the health care team colleagues
- Promotes quality care by participating in organizational councils/committees and/or support of related process
- Documents services provided to patients in the electronic medical record in accordance with policy and requirements
- Reduces the risk of healthcare acquired infections through compliance with current CDC hand hygiene guidelines and facility policies
- Utilizes standard precautions during patient contact and when handling contaminated materials
- Demonstrates compliance with National Patient Safety Goals
- Maintains ethical principles with patient care and all other aspects of work
- Keeps all patient or colleague information confidential
- Participates in continuing education opportunities and maintains certifications, licensure as appropriate
- Attends required in-services and meetings
- Completes required mandatory competencies by deadline
- Possesses information, skill, and understanding of the work to be performed
- Complies with all standards, policies and procedures including dress code, attendance and punctuality
Essential Job Functions
- Assisting in patient flow process, including greeting patients, preparing exam rooms and patients for examination, assisting provider with exams and procedures, performing laboratory duties and cleaning/disinfecting exam/treatment area after use.
- Assisting with preparing patients for physical exams (vital signs, history), review correspondences, collect incoming documents, write scripts as ordered or call the pharmacy, and address refills on medications.
- Interacting with patients, family members, and other visitors courteously in an effort to promote satisfaction in accordance with standards and policy.
- Documenting patient care activities and patient outcomes, ensuring entries are legible and complete.
- Promoting safe and effective nursing care in accordance with accepted nursing standards and departmental policy.
- Participating in performance improvement activities.
- Assisting with meeting educational needs of the patient/family and distributing educational handouts when appropriate.
- Keeping RN and other appropriate persons informed of patient's status and patient plan of care.
- Following nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation, incorporating physical, as well as psycho-social needs of designated patient populations, in person, and over the telephone. Practices within professional scope and current standards of care.
- Triaging patients to the appropriate setting if there is a need to be seen.
- Assisting with various aspects of diagnostic testing including obtaining and/or preparing specimens, labeling/recording, and communicating results.
- Performing miscellaneous CLIA-waived testing, including checks for throat pathogens, sexually transmitted diseases, urine dipsticks, and pregnancy tests; may perform EKGs/rhythm strips.
- Arranges for ambulance transport if required.
- Performs patient callbacks, reports diagnostic findings, provides consultation, scheduling of tests and procedures and patient education.
- Willingly accepts other duties as assigned.