Perform requested and/or screened therapy services following established policy/procedure for adult and geriatric patient populations in the community and assisted living facilities. Perform assessments and daily visits as established by plan of care and/or MD orders. Provide continuing education to patient, family members, caregivers and others involved in the case via HEP, in-servicing and case conferences. Adhere to company QA/OBQI initiatives and state and federal regulations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct supervision to Occupational Therapy Assistants and assigns caseloads and visit schedules as indicated by Occupational Therapy patient plans of care and within the scope of Occupational Therapy Assistant’s abilities. Supervision includes case conferences and joint visits, a minimum of monthly with Occupational Therapy Assistant.
- Organizes and performs physician ordered therapy program for patients involving self-care training, splint fabrication, home management and cognitive retraining. Modifies treatment programs as indicated by patient condition and instructs caregivers of home Occupational Therapy programs. Performs specific age-related therapy.
- Performs direct treatment, initial/interim evaluations, physicians Plan of Care and discharge visits/summary. Occupational Therapist will evaluate patient’s home occupational therapy needs to include but not limited to: functional physical limitations rehab potential, environmental safety and caregiver involvement. Confers with physician as indicated with findings, recommendations for changes and reports patient responses to treatment. Applies diagnostic and prognostic muscle, nerve, and joint and functional ability tests as needed.
- Performs home safety/fall risk assessments and document appropriately.
- Plans, prepares and carries out individually-designed programs of physical treatment to maintain, improve or restore physical functioning, alleviate pain and prevent physical dysfunction in patients.
- Performs and documents an initial assessment, evaluating the data to identify problems and determine a plan of care/intervention.
- Evaluates effects of treatment at various stages and adjusts treatments to achieve maximum benefits.
- Administers appropriate modalities (manual and physical agents) to help relieve pain, increase strength, decrease/prevent deformity or crippling, and increase quality of life.
- Instructs patient, family, and caregivers in treatment procedures/plan of care and updates, as necessary.
- Instructs patient, family, and caregivers in home exercise program.
- Confers with the patient, medical practitioners and appropriate others to plan, implement and assess the intervention program.
- Reviews medical records and physician referral to help determine plan of care and intervention.
- Records prognosis, treatment, response, and progress in patient’s chart or enters information into the computer.
- Discharges patient from occupational therapy when goals/outcomes have been attained and provide for appropriate follow-up or referrals as needed.
- Tests and measures patient’s strength, motor development, sensation, function, respiratory/circulatory function and overall quality of life, and records data appropriately.
- Identifies and documents goals, anticipated progress, and plan for reevaluation every 6th visit.
- Provides information to the patient about the proposed intervention, its material risk and any reasonable alternatives.
- Refers to the appropriate practitioner if a finding is revealed out of the scope of the practice.
- Directs and supervises supportive personnel, assessing their competence, delegating specific tasks to them and establishing channels of communication.
- Provides educational information about occupational therapy and occupational therapists, injury prevention, ergonomics and ways to promote health to our customers and community.
- Refers clients to community resources and services.
- Conducts and supports research and applies research findings to practice.
- Follows best practices as outlined in handbook.
- Follows guidelines as indicated in employee handbook.
- Attendance at staff meetings is mandatory. If unable to attend, must follow-up with supervisor.
- Participates in QA/OBQI initiatives with problem solving via action items.
- Performs assessments within 72 hours of receiving a referral.
- Documentation of notes will be submitted within 24 hours of performing the visit.
- Performs home health supervisions every two weeks if skilled nursing is not active with the client.
- Possesses thorough knowledge of and maintains strict adherence to Celtic's Mission, Vision, and Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Bachelors or better.
Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy from an accredited college or university program approved by the American Occupational Therapy Association required. Home health experience preferred. One year experience in home health or related jobs in a hospital or healthcare facility. Current license as an Occupational Therapist by the OT, PT, ATC Board required in the state for which he/she is providing services for the agency required. Valid driver’s license & proof of current insurance.
Required Licenses & Certifications
Drivers License- IL