Springfield, IL… The Sangamon County Sheriff Merit Commission is accepting applications for Sangamon County Corrections Officer positions. Anyone who is interested can pick up an application between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Sangamon County Sheriff’s office, #1 Sheriff’s Plaza in Springfield or an application can be printed and filled out from the Sangamon County Sheriff Office website: http://sangamoncounty-sheriff.com (Click on Careers link then Sheriff’s Office Employment Application). Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Applicants meeting the requirements and passing the physical agility test will be notified of the location of the written exam and physical agility exams.
Applications for this position are accepted on an ongoing basis, deadlines above are for this testing cycle. Applications received outside this testing cycle will be filed and applicant will be notified of next testing cycle.
Sangamon County Correction Officer Requirements
Eligibility requirements to be appointed a Sangamon County Correction Officer are listed below. To sign up for the examination complete the application and return to the Sangamon County Sheriff’s office, #1 Sheriff’s Plaza, Springfield, Illinois 62701.
1. Have acquired a high school diploma or equivalent certificate.
2. Be no younger than 21 years of age at the time of appointment. (under 21 may still apply)
3. Must possess a valid Illinois Driver’s License.
4. Must possess a valid FOID (Firearm Owner’s Identification) card.
5. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
6. Must pass a written examination as prescribed by the Merit Commission.
7. Must pass a physical standards test.
8. Must pass a thorough background investigation.
9. Must pass drug testing.
10. Must reside within Sangamon County within 6 months of employment.
$38,045 currently, $55, 363 after 5 years* (*based on current contract)